Illinois Family Files Suit Against Landlord For Black Mold Infestation
A family living in a rental home in Illinois are have filed suit against their landlord, claiming that the property was infected with black mold, a suspected cause of numerous respiratory-related health issues.
Black mold and health
Mold that grows indoors can be a high-priced and dangerous issue, specifically when poisonous black mold is found. The symptoms and health impacts of black mold exposure and black mold contamination include a variety of health problems, but recognizing the signs can help keep those inside a home or commercial structure safe.
Black mold can cause respiratory issues such as irritation of the throat, coughing, wheezing and a runny nose. It has been known to cause eye and skin irritation as well. In extreme cases, mold can cause severe allergic reactions and lung inflammation.
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM), a division of the National Academy of Sciences, has found evidence that links sustained indoor exposure to mold with irritation of the upper respiratory tract. The irritation manifests as symptoms such as coughing and wheezing in otherwise healthy individuals.
NAM found evidence that suggests a link between prolonged exposure to mold and respiratory illness in previously healthy children.
Details of the lawsuit
In 2015, the plaintiffs leased their home on Residence Street. According to the suit, the plaintiffs only learned about the mold infestation after they moved from the property.
The suit claims that mold resulted in health issues for family members and that the defendants failed to keep the property safe. The suit further claims the defendants failed to exercise reasonable care that might have prevented the growth of mold.
As a result of the defendants’ faults, the plaintiffs are claiming damages for sustained permanent injury and mental anguish, disability and disfigurements. They are suing for damages to cover past and future medical costs as well.
Telegraph, The. “Lawsuit claims Alton rental property infested with black mold.” The Telegraph. The Telegraph, n.d. Web. 05 June 2017.